Tuesday 8 January 2019

SLJ (Week 3 Day 2 Activities)

Bee Informed
To earn full points for this activity you must type all five sentences and then fill in the blanks for each one. Post the completed sentences on your blog.
Unbee-lievable Facts about Bumblebees
  • The word ‘bumblebee’ is a compound word (bumble + bee). The word ‘bumble’ means to __________________________.
  • Bumblebees can fly very quickly. They can reach ground speeds of _______ kilometres per hour (km/h).
  • Bumblebees are very strong! They carry up to ____ percent of their body weight in food with them to avoid starvation.
  • Bumblebees can do more work and carry more pollen than other bees, including honeybees. In fact, they can do up to   ______ times as much work as a normal honeybee.
  • The number of bumblebees is declining in New Zealand due to a number of factors, including the  _____________________.
 
Carbon Sinks Don’t Stink!
Let’s imagine that you could design a sink that could gather up and then drain away any foods that you don’t like. On your blog, tell us what you would put in your special sink. If it was me, I would put rice pudding, brussel sprouts, custard, parsnips, and seafood chowder in the sink. Yuck! What about you?
On your blog, list all of the foods that you would put in your special draining sink..

Flying Fungi
Let’s imagine that we tested the air in your classroom and found 7 different kinds of mould. Eek! The cleaner says that it takes 5 days for each mould to be eradicated (removed). If the school had to remove each mould one at a time, how long would it take to remove all the mould from the classroom? On your blog, tell us how you would solve this tricky maths problem. Be sure to also post your final answer in days or weeks.


2 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Rikki-Lee

    Great post! Well done for completing this task! Bumblebees are very important to our ecosystems. Have you noticed how small the wings of the bumblebees are? Sometimes I wonder how they are even able to fly! They have such large bodies and such tiny wings!
    All animals have special adaptations that help them survive! Do you have any favourite animals?

    Oh my goodness! All the things you have listed to throw in your sink… when I was your age I absolutely hated them too! You would never see me eating brussel sprouts, pumkin, any kind of seafood (unless it was fish and chips) I hated most vegetables as a kid. The older I got, the more my taste palette changed! Now I love roasted Brussel sprouts and pretty much every single vegetable! HAHA I wonder if the same will happen to you!

    Thanks for the video answering the question! Pat yourself on the back for always going above and beyond!


    Keep up the creativity and hard work
    He Whetu Koe! (You’re a star!)
    Hasiba

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia Ora Rikki!

    It's Katelynn here! A-MAZ-ING post! I love the way you have presented EVERY activity it looks OUTSTANDING.

    Activity 1

    Bumblebees are amazing creatures, except when they sting you. It's amazing what they can do. Don't you think? Bumblebees can do 50 times more than a normal honey bee, WOAH! This reminded me of when I got stung by a bee at my Uncles parents farm.

    Activity 2

    I don't like pumpkin either but I can eat it I'm just not a huge fan. This presentation looks really cool. I like the images you have added to your presentation. This reminded me of when I did this activity it was quite hard to find foods that I didn't like.

    Activity 3

    Your video is very cool, I like how you made a video it is very easy for the person watching to follow along and not get lost whilst watching the video.

    Keep up all of this hard work Rikki!

    Katelynn

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.